Saturday, August 6, 2011

(A-66) MONARCH WAYSTATION NO. 613 BUTTERFLY LARVA EATS OWN EGG


















I'm turning into a kid again! There's been a big upswing in Monarchs spotted here in NW Ohio at Waystation No. 613. As I look out my window, there is a steady flow of female Monarchs laying eggs in the Swamp and Common Milkweed in the side and back yards. Same around Sandusky County, where my hometown of Fremont lies. I just witnessed a collecte egg hatch on my front porch and took some pics. The photo sequence shows the larva initially walking away from the egg it just emerged from, then it turns around and begins eating the shell. I love it! My goal is to collect eggs from my Waystation No. 613, keeps stats on success rates, and release the adult Monarch butterflies, after checking them for OE virus and tagging them.




What a great activity to involve your children, nephew, and nieces in! It can be done in your own yard and helps battle nature deficit disorder! At the top are great nature kits for children. Enjoy the pics.




This is why I separate the newborn larva from the other eggs. They'll eat 'em up!!

VISIT THE MONARCH MANIA MALL!



Robert Morton, M.Ed., Ed.S believes urban sprawl can be offset by creating wildlife-friendly spaces in America's 25,000,000 lawns, one yard at a time! Click HERE to learn why. A portion of Ad sale revenues will be donated to Monarch Watch. Do you have a wildlife-friendly space? Please share it! Contact us on the secure Bpath Mail Form.